As part of the “5-E’s”, the Bell Gardens Public Works Department takes on the role of the engineering aspect of Safe Route to Schools. Public Works and transportation engineers are responsible for designing, installing, and maintaining traffic control devices and other pedestrian and bicycle facilities to enhance safety for our pedestrians, bicyclists, and commuters. Activities include:
- Improve pedestrian safety by eliminating key sidewalk gaps. Connecting routes that offer safety for children to walk or bike on the way to schools.
- Installing crosswalks to provide safety for pedestrians.
- Installing pedestrian countdowns at traffic signals.
- Flashing beacon signs to indicate the speed limit and installing traffic calming devices.
- Other infrastructure improvements include more crosswalks, pedestrian countdown signs, speed indicator signs, and flashing beacons.